Deputy HR Manager (ITA21.460)
☞ Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Category: Executive management
The British Embassy in Rome is part of a world-wide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas and is now looking for a Deputy HR ManagerB3(L) who will be responsible for managing routine human resources processes and performance management across the Italy and Holy See Network. This will be a supporting role to the HR Manager and Head of Corporate Services (HCS).
The new hire will work closely with the HR Manager, HCS and the rest of the local Corporate Services Team and other stakeholders in the network (e.g. HR Hub Europe & EECAD and Language Team at the International Academy) to ensure effective delivery of this role.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Operational Human Resource Management - 25%
- Manage local post HR policy, operations, employment terms and conditions, working closely with HR Manager and HR Hub;
- Advise and support country based staff (CBS) on employee relations and employment conditions;
- Ensure available local HR guidance for staff is updated;
- Ensure local staff terms and conditions of service are compliant with local employment law. Ensure global local staff policy is followed (including FCDO staff global minimum standards);
- Liaise with Legal Advisor on labour law issues;
- Support post activity on wellbeing and mental health;
- Lead on updates to the country based staff charter and “Our Offer to You” documents in consultation with CBS where appropriate.
Recruitment and On-boarding - 25%
- Manage local recruitment processes working closely with the HR Hub, oversee specifications, criteria and approvals, run local adverts. Convene and manage panel logistics;
- Own, review and update on-boarding and exit processes and documents, ensuring they are up to date and relevant;
- Oversee and deliver induction process for newcomers;
- Manage local recruitment schemes including interim personnel pool and internships.
UK Based Staff – Support role 20%
- Manage heavy baggage and unaccompanied air freight processes for arrivals and departures of UKBS;
- Manage process for visas and accreditation with the MFA for UKBS;
- Act as language officer for UKBS, overseeing local provision of tuition including optional language training and in-country immersion training; sourcing providers, arranging language exams as necessary;
- Support on UKBS Health and Welfare issues; contact point for network with Health and Welfare team in London.
Pay and Benefits - 10%
- Manage local payroll including contract management with external provider, reviews and mandatory submissions;
- Manage monthly process for payroll including overseeing additional payments e.g. overtime, allowances, bonuses etc, within set deadlines and with high level of accuracy;
- Working with the HR Hub, review benefits and allowances to ensure value for money;
- Carry out monthly checks on payroll processes for audit purposes;
- Make recommendations to the HR Manager/HCS on pay and exceptions.
Performance Management - 10%
- Oversee performance management process for country based staff, including leading on the process of appraisal moderation, organising the Appraisal Committee and circulating examples of best practice;
- Support the HR Manager in managing local disciplinary and misconduct procedures, advise and support post leadership on bullying, harassment and discrimination issues;
- Offer guidance and support to staff and line managers where required;
- Act as local performance management champion, working closely with global HR teams;
- Support in the design and implementation of local reward and recognition policies.
Other - 10%
- Support other members of the corporate services team as required;
- Line management responsibilities of junior Corporate Services officers, supporting their development;
- Participate in post crisis activity in the Welfare Team. Contribute to the wider corporate agenda at post;
- Deputise for the HR Manager during periods of absence;
- Work closely with the Community Liaison Officer (CLO) on UKBS related processes e.g. healthcare;
- Support the delivery of the learning and development (L&D) agenda at post as a member of the L&D group, advising on best practice processes and tools.
- Fluency both oral and written at least at a C1 level in English and in Italian, or equivalent;
- Solid knowledge and experience across the full HR portfolio, having performed similar functions for at least 3 years;
- Knowledge of Italian labour law;
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Ability to get things done with minimal supervision. Strong people skills and an ability to influence at all levels;
- Dynamic, well organised self-starter with excellent communication skills;
- Excellent team working skills, with strong ability to build co-operative working relationships across a large network, including external contacts;
- Strong customer service orientation, with a commitment to continuous service improvement and leading by example;
- Ability to work under pressure with a clear focus on timely and concise communications to relevant stakeholders;
- Resilience and ability to prioritise work.
- Experience of managing and developing individuals/teams;
- Previous HR work experience delivered in an international environment.
This is a full-time temporary position with a contract of 12 months with possibility of renewal, graded B3(L) according to the FCDO grading structure. The monthly gross salary is € 2,929. The salary is paid monthly 14 times per year including € 10.33 EDR paid 13 times per year, with double salary payments in June and December. If working less than a full calendar year, the additional salary payments will be pro-rata.
Working hours are 35 hrs per week Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:00.
The appointment is subject to security clearance, professional background check and the successful completion of a 5 month probationary period.
All staff employed by the British Embassy are subject to Italian income tax rate deductions (IRPEF). However the administration of these tax payments will vary depending on nationality.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Italian State Social Security Scheme. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy in Rome are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local Italian employment law.
When completing the motivation field please make sure you present clearly and concisely why are you applying for the position.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
FCDO does not pay for travel related expense incurred in interviews (including Security Check) or accept any financial risk, including cancelation or reschedule costs. The FCDO will not meet the costs connected with relocation if offered a position.
- Please note Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment indicates Level C1 as Mastery or proficiency Level which comprehends that a person can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices. For more information please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your languages skills are going to be assessed.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 04-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 10-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 16-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 14-04-2023🌏 Pomezia, Lazio
⏰ 04-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 18-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 07-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 07-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 11-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio
⏰ 09-04-2023🌏 Rome, Lazio